Sunday, April 26, 2009

REVIEW: K-Os, Asher Roth and Chester French

I've been bumping a few new albums lately and I thought I'd share my opinion and invite everyone to share theirs.

K-Os - Yes! 2009 Nettwerk/Universal

The 4th full length album from K-Os entitled Yes! gets back to his hip-hop roots. As we have seen K-Os progress musically. He is a type of artist that habitually blurs genre lines, as many hipsters do. Yes! is definitely an album that returns to the b-boy style that made K-Os popular in the first place. Although K-Os has always had an ability to craft unique songs. Yes! shows that K-Os has matured as a song writer. This is a quality album with some great concepts and well designed songs.

Although the entire album is worth popping in the ride and banging for the Summer. My absolute favorite tracks from the album are, I Wish I Knew Natalie Portman, 4,3,2,1 and Fun!. I Wish I Knew Natalie Portman samples Phantom Planet's California and according to K-Os the song has nothing to do with Portman but it is more a story about his overcoming his fear of the U.S. and willingness to embrace new audiences. K-Os believes that Natalie Portman represents the best of what America has to offer. And if she is inspiring him to make songs like he is, who is to disagree. 4,3,2,1 is a take on the Feist track with the reciprocal title. Break beats and slick rhymes fill this single, watch the video below for the full appreciation.

K-Os 1st Single from Yes! 4,3,2,1


Asher Roth - Asleep in the Bread Aisle 2009 Universal Motown

Middle-class minutiae with hot production makes Asher Roth's major label debut an interesting one to say the least. Songs about weed, girls and blah are exactly what the labels are looking for an Roth delivers. While his content may lack a little depth and his lyricism lazy at times, Asher brings the fire on the majority of his album. While he does hear the comparisons to Eminem and addresses them through a track called As I Em the Roth album is not disappointing. In my opinion Roth sounds A LOT like old school Eminem which I think is a good thing. We have been craving that sort of sound for a long time and Asher Roth delivers. Roth has been receiving a lot of fan fare and has already released two singles, I Love College and Lark on my Go-Kart. Lark on My Go-Kart is a throw back to classic Eminem over a really rugged beat and I love it. The album is a good listen and I will definitely recommend popping it in the whip this Summer.

Asher Roth's 2nd Single Lark on My Go-Kart


Chester French - Love the Future 2009 Star Trak

The signing war is over for Harvard Grad Hipster Pop Rockers Chester French. With the likes of Jimmy Iovine, Pharrel Williams and Kanye West trying to get a piece of these guys, the hype for their debut album Love the Future debuting on Pharrel's Star Trak Records is large. The Myspace superstars have a strong presences in the U.S. but Chester French doesn't seem to have the same presence in Canada. They are likely to be most popular in hipster circles with an eye for bizarre trendyness. Chester French's sound has been co-signed but virtually everyone in the hip hop scene. Weird. They are featured on Asher Roth's album,they have a song with Kardinal Offishal and are receiving major props and co-signage from Clinton Sparks. Talk about a diverse resume, they've got it. These guys have a melancholy pop sound combined with Beatles influenced vocals and typical hipster attire. I don't know if I'm completely sold of Chester French yet. Don't get me wrong these guys are talented, their early Beatles sounding track Out At the Compound is probably my fav, followed by their first single She Loves Everybody and the track People. There are a lot of fun sounding tracks they you will eventually hear at Absinthe on a Wednesday and Saturday. I wouldn't be deliberately banging this album all Summer ... maybe for a bit though.

Chester French - She Loves Everybody


All in all these are three really well put together albums that have something for everyone in each. K-Os is really blooming into magnificent artist and is another example of CanCon that has more talent then half the U.S. scene. Asher Roth puts for a strong effort in his debut, I don't know how long he will be able to stick around for but we can always hope for the best. Chester French are a talented hipsters team that have been signed by a talented hipster in Pharrel Williams so expect them to receive the most fanfare from the three albums. K-Os Yes! is my pick.

What's yours?

1 comment:

Black said...

I've got to lean on the K-Os. Solid tracks though. You know who else needs to sound like old Em is Em himself, those latest singles from him are shit sandwiches with a side of Dre.