Sunday, March 22, 2009

Spanish Music Videos

Well, I've been down here in Mexico for almost two years now and my Spanish is finally starting to come along. I play guitar in a teacher band down here and we are trying to add a few Spanish tunes to our catalog, so I thought I would finally throw up some Spanish music videos. The first video is from Julieta Venegas, who was born in Long Beach California, but was raised in Tijuana. She is fluent in both English and Spanish and her track Eres para Mi is one of the songs we are trying to add. Now, I think the song is pretty catchy, but you might not. However, I don't think anyone can deny that the Octopus handing out the tickets in the video is money. The second clip comes from Manu Chao, who is even more interesting. Born in France, Chao is now a singer/politicial activist who sings in many languages including French, Spanish, Portuguese and English. For all you guitar players, the trend for Spanish influenced pop musicians is to rely heavily on the up stroke for their rhythm parts, which leads to overall laid back feeling of the tunes. If you are not feeling the Julieta track, I am sure you will find the Chao track a little more accessible. It's a song of nonsense that will more than likely get stuck inside your head for a few days. So don't be a square and listen to the tracks. And make some comments for crying out loud. Enjoy...

Julieta Venegas: Eres Para Mi





Manu Chao: Me Gustas Tu


2 comments:

Smeds said...

Once you play these songs live you need to make a vid and post it. Will you be singing the lyrics or what?

Black said...

I will not be singing, but I will get a video up.