Monday, March 16, 2009

Radiohead: Live in Mexico City

This weekend, I slid on down to Mexico City, lone wolf styles, to see Radiohead. If you've ever heard anything about Mexico City, it probably was in reference to how over crowded, violent, dirty and dangerous it is. Now, I'm not saying that it can't be all of those things, but I can say that I had a great, safe weekend with minimal moments of fear. I do have to be honest and say that one guy came out of nowhere and creeped the shit out of me while I was reading in the park, but I mean that could happen anywhere in the world at any given time. However, if there are any demons walking on Earth, I can say that I've now had two demon encounters and one of them was this weekend, the other one, well, I don't want to talk about her.

Now, onto the show. First of all, I found Foro Sol to be a beautiful concert venue. It's a wide open baseball stadium with a gigantic floor and I just had to smile at the fact that I could see airplanes landing and taking off in the distance the whole time during the set. It was just really comforting to be enclosed with all those other fans, so focused on the show and oblivious to the whir of the madness of the modern world around us. The capacity for the venue is apparently 50, 000 and while I don't think there was that many people there last night, there were a lot of fuckin' people. I feel like any words I say here about the set are not going to do it any justice, so let me say this, it was amazing. I mean I could on and on and try to explain how great it was to hear thousands of Mexi's singing along in broken English to Fake Plastic Trees, or how great that rush was when those lights went out and Phil unleashed into the first few beats of 15 Step, but sometimes you just have to be there to know what it's all about.

Radiohead are one of few bands left from my youth that continue to get better with each album and their live set just continues to amaze me. Whether it's the intriguing light show, Yorke's new found 'Jagger swagger' or the beautiful music in general, there is always something to keep your attention. If you haven't seen the band by now, stop wasting your life and grab a ticket to one their shows because this is a band who are in their prime and I can't imagine anyone who enjoys their music to be disappointed with their live show.

The Setlist:

15 Step
Airbag
There There
All I Need
Nude
Weird Fishes / Arpeggi
The Gloaming (Softly Open Our Mouths in the Cold)
The National Anthem
Faust Arp
No Surprises
Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Lucky
Reckoner
Optimistic
Idioteque
Fake Plastic Trees
Bodysnatchers

First Encore

Videotape
Paranoid Android
House of Cards
My Iron Lung
Street Spirit

Second Encore

Pyramid Song
Just
Everything In It's Right Place (Intro of R.E.M.'s The One I Love to begin)

Now, I have included a video from the show, but I will warn you, I did not have great seats, so don't expect a music video here. The sound is decent though and I think it does a great job of capturing the vibe of the show last night, lots of singing and cheering, just thousands and thousands of people having a great night. I'd had a few beers, so a tripod would have been nice, but I mean come on, this shit is the real deal, so just enjoy it. Those who are lucky enough to have tickets for the rest of this tour are in for a treat. Make a comment if you like...

No Surprises Live in Mexico City:

3 comments:

emjay said...

real life video = real good blog content

fuckin right Black

Smeds said...

right on black, thats some money shit right there

Black said...

Thanks big guy, its already grabbed over a 100 views on you tube. Radiohead are pure money.