Thursday, February 5, 2009

Certified Banger # 17

Don't let that greatest hits tag fool you on that picture of Moz on your left, the man has been busy so far this year in 2009. He just released his new disc Years of Refusal and the opening track entitled 'Something is Squeezing My Skull' has just landed itself on our BANGER list.

While reading Tom Ewing's review of the album on Pitchfork, I thought he nailed the album bang on when he stated that this album features a rejuvenated Morrissey equipped with a stronger emphasis on his vocals and an equally vigorous backing band. This track comes out blazing and features Morrissey in his usual bitter and self-loathing self, but there is a clear force driving him through this number. I love when the percussion picks up at the end during the outro and over Morrissey's rant of 'don't give me anymore,' we get some kick ass back up yelps. Yelps? Yelps, on a damn Morrissey song, it must be 2009. Check out the track on the side bar. I have a solid feeling that 2009 will be a great year for music, while apart from this Lil Wayne rock album that is going to stink up the joint. I've included a live video of the track below, it did take me a little bit to get it going though, but if you want to see ol' Moz up to his old tricks it is worth a watch, wait for the GONG show at the end. Enjoy....

Morrissey performing 'Something is Squeezing My Skull' Live:

1 comment:

Black said...

I can't describe how much I love when the drummer just unleashes that GONG, music is just simply amazing...