Thursday, January 1, 2009

Some Music News

With this whole top albums of 2008 thing that we have been doing over the past couple of weeks I haven't had any time to write about any music news and happenings. So, I thought it would be a good time to do that now. Being that it's the holiday season there hasn't been much to report, however, I few things have popped up on my radar.

First, the Vivian Girls, fresh off their #3 spot in my year end rankings, have announced a new 7" with a cover of the Beach Boys' "Girl Don't Tell Me" on one side and two new songs on the other. The 7" is being packaged in, what the band is calling, the Vivian Girls fun pack. It's actually a pretty great cover. Check it out below.




Second, Swank Lake has announced the release of the follow up to their criminally underrated 2006 self titled debut. The new LP is entitled, Enemy Mine and drops 24 March 2009. This news comes as somewhat of a shock because most, including myself, thought that this indie supergroup was only a one time thing, however it seems like Krug, Bejar and Mercer are ready to continue to make music under this moniker. The album cover art, which is the early favourite for worst/best cover art of '09, as well as the track listing are below. I have a feeling this album is going to be huge.

Enemy Mine
1. Spanish Gold, 2044
2. Paper Lace
3. Heartswarm
4. Settle on Your Skin
5. Ballad of a Swan Lake, Or, Daniel’s Song
6. Peace
7. Spider
8. A Hand at Dusk
9. Warlock Psychologist



Finally, I've recently got my hands on Merriweather Post Pavillion. Beleive the hype; this album is a monster. The LP is actually getting an early release on vinyl on 6 January, so if you can't wait until later in the month, go out and grab the vinyl format which I'm sure will come with a digital download as well. Look for a full review of the album in the coming days.

Oh, and happy new year.

No comments: