Saturday, January 10, 2009

Indie Music is Blowing the Fuck Up

I don't even know how to feel about this. Obviously I'm happy for all of the attention and fame that indie bands that I have followed since they were myspace successes are recieving, but on the other hand, it also feels like I'm losing a part of myself when they get huge and leave their indie roots behind. Case in point: Okkervil River played Letterman the other night. Check the video below.



BUT, Okkervil River on Letterman isn't the craziest thing going on right now. Fleet Foxes are set to play Saturday Night Live next Saturday, 17 January 2009. That's right, the Fleet Foxes are playing SNL! What the hell is going on with the world? I mean don't get me wrong, I like it, but seriously how does this happen? Speaking of SNL, I meant to post about this back in December, but did anyone see that Kanye performance of "Love Lockdown"? That might go down as the worst SNL performance of all time. He would have been better off going the Ashlee Simpson route and lip syncing. If you didn't catch that horrendous performance, I've included the video below. Wait, SNL has taken down all of the videos on youtube of this performance, so you have to click here to see the video. Sometimes youtube sucks.

Seriously though, what's next, Animal Collective on Leno?

1 comment:

Black said...

Yeah, Bands are blowing the fuck up, but that is sign of the times we are living in. An age where bands don't make it on record sales anymore, a time where you have to rely on having a kick-ass live show and then proceeding to tour the shit out of yourself. If you ask me, we are living in a very exciting time for music and we are going to witness some amazing live shows and bands for a while to come.

I'm more surprised by Dave holding a Record than anything, I mean I have not watched Letterman is a while, but I don't remember him ever holding up a Vinyl while I was watching him. Records are making one hell of a comeback.