Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Certified Banger #14

I know I promised a full review of Merriweather Post Pavilion in one of my last posts, but time constraints are making it look unlikely that that review will never materialize. You'll have to be satisfied with a certified banger post instead. In case you're still interested in a full review of the LP, go here. It was difficult to pick just one track, but I ultimately settled on "My Girls" because it was the song that caught my ear upon first listen.

The track is classic Animal Collective in the sense that is built around a repetitive synth and tribal drumming that slowing turns into an electro-pop number. The difference here is that the track is drenched in heavy bass and clear harmonies. Lyrically, the song treads in familiar AC territory with vague snippets of ideas put together in a non-linear fashion. Because it's a Panda Bear song, the track lacks any normal pop structure, however with "My Girls", and unlike past AC and solo Panda Bear stuff, the lyrics are mostly audible. Although sadly I cannot totally connect with these lyrics because I still find myself controlled by material wants at times, they are touching nonetheless. In particular, Panda Bear emotes beautifully when he sings "I don't mean to seem like I care about material things like a social status/I just want four walls and adobe slabs for my girls." The end result of all of this is an early favourite for song of the year.

You really need to hear this song and album. Animal Collective has now set the artistic bar incredibly high for themselves and other bands. MPP could be the album of the decade, hell, Animal Collective could be the band of the decade. Who else has delivered so consistently over the past 10 years? Get this album.

As always, check the sidebar for the track. -------------->

1 comment:

Black said...

It really is a beautiful record, AC is a band that forces to be heard.

Now Red, I have to ask you, who does this record belong to Avey Tare or Panda Bear? Or could you say this duel ends in a draw? While I think I know how you will side, I want to see your thoughts...