Monday, December 8, 2008

Certified Banger #11


To echo the words of Red in his last BANGER POST, entries into our Certifiably Banging category need not be straight fire spittin' lyrical rampages. They can also be beautiful tracks that leave you wanting more.

The track I've selected this week is another one that was born earlier in the year, but still BANGS nonetheless. White Winter Hymnal is a luscious track that is filled with gorgeous harmonies and warm tones, that work together to form a beautiful hymn on the nature of winter.

What really kills me about this song, is that it's really just one verse repeated over and over throughout the entire song. I feel the harmonies and texture of the vocals forbid the song though from ever getting boring or overtly repetitive. From the moment lead vocalist Robin Pecknold begins the song a capella, right down to the choral outro of the track, I just get lost in its beauty. I will not be surprised when I see the band's first full length end up in the top half of year end lists, as the album really does kick some serious ass. I've also had the privilege of seeing the band twice this year, and their voices wail as beautifully together on stage as they do on their album.

Here are the simple, yet thoughtful lyrics to the track:

I was following the pack
all swallowed in their coats
with scarves of red tied ’round their throats
to keep their little heads
from fallin’ in the snow
And I turned ’round and there you go
And, Michael, you would fall
and turn the white snow red as strawberries
in the summertime...

I've included the video down below, now, I'm curious as to what YOU think the video and/or the song may be about. Throw your ideas down in a comment, and as always enjoy...

1 comment:

emjay said...

i don't know if i 'get it' per se but i do think it's pretty beautiful.