Thursday, December 25, 2008

Best Albums of 2008: #6


6. Cut Copy
In Ghost Colours
Modular/Interscope - 04/08/08

It seems like indie dance is here to stay. And, I mean, with bands like Cut Copy, The Rapture and LCD Soundsystem leading the way you wont get any complaints from me. This record is summer time to me. It's light, breezy, infectious and highly enjoyable. In the past, it would be nearly impossible to find an album like this on my year end list, but that says a lot about the quality of this album, as well as how far along indie dance has come in the past few years. Others on this site have already talked about this album at length in the certified bangers section, so I think I'll keep this short. As I said before, In Ghost Colours works best as a light summertime album, but unlike other mood or seasonal albums, the production on this record is so dense and layered that I have found myself picking up on different things, like the stabbing synths and ominous piano hooks, when I went back to listen to this record recently. Therefore, to write this album off as something light and unimportant would be a mistake. Instead, this album should be treated as, and I'm sure it will be looked back upon as, an artistic statement that helps solidify the indie dance genre. Highlights include: "Hearts On Fire," "Out There On The Ice," "So Haunted," and "Strangers In The Wind."

No comments: