Friday, December 26, 2008

Best Albums of 2008: #5

5. Fleet Foxes
Fleet Foxes
Sub Pop - 06/03/08

As I write this I'm starting to feel a little resentment towards this band. I can't really explain why, it's not like they have done anything to deserve it, but, I do have the dirty habit of hating on bands at the end of the year that have been a little too over exposed and a little too lauded by critics. With that being said, despite this growing feeling of resentment within me, the beauty of this record cannot be shorn. I feel like a thousand things have been said about this record already this year, so it would seem almost cheesy or crass to go on about how lush the vocal harmonies are, or how each one of the songs on this album seem to build and soar to unexpected heights. But, holy shit can lead singer Robin Pecknold sing. His voice fits along side, and is complemented near perfectly by the sounds of guitar, piano, sparse percussion and poignant backing vocal harmonies. Shit, come to think of it, from what I just wrote,there is really no reason why I shouldn't be absolutely in love with this record, but hey, I can't help it if I'm an ugly, hate filled person. But seriously, beyond all of the acclaim and hype this album has been receiving lately stands a classic rock album that will most definitely stand the test of time.

1 comment:

Black said...

you are without a doubt an ugly hate filled person...