Wednesday, November 26, 2008

If Bruce Springsteen Were Dead, I'd Title This Post "Springsteen Lives On"...


But he's not. Actually he's very much alive and kicking, so that title is pretty useless. The reason I would have titled this post that, if Springsteen had in fact kicked the bucket, is because The Gas Light Anthem's new LP, The '59 Sound, sounds like it could have been made by the Boss himself. I know I'm not the first to say this, but, The '59 Sound is so Born To Run-era Springsteen that it puts other Boss followers like the Hold Steady and Titus Andronicus to shame. That might be part of the reason why this record doesn't surpass either of the albums that I just mentioned in goodness. The LP just never ventures far enough away from their biggest influence to say anything new or important. With that being said, it's still some good stuff to listen to. I've never been a huge fan of the Boss, but I can definitely, for many reasons, respect his working class, rugged, classic rock vibe. Maybe it's because I could never relate to those hard times in the 70s that Springsteen was so good at writing about. Maybe that's one of the reasons that, although I'm not blown away by The Gas Light Anthem, that their record has caught my ear. I actually can relate to the things they are singing about now. I know, music is able to transcend time and circumstance, but the Boss never did that for me. So, I'm going to have to be content with the next best thing: a post-millennial Springsteen knock off that rocks pretty hard. And with Nickleback still releasing music, I'm sure I could do a lot worse.

Check out a few of their songs here.

1 comment:

Black said...

The Boss will never die...he is immortal!