Sunday, October 19, 2008

Kanye live at Arena Monterrey


Kanye slid into Monterrey on Saturday night and I must say that the first thing that caught my attention when I arrived at the show was that it was not sold out. All the prime seats were full, but the shittier seats were widely free of fans. I was almost worried that ol' Kanye would react to this by playing a short set or seemed detached from the show but boy was I was wrong. To put it simply, Kanye came out and tore the damn roof off the place. Before I go into detail about the things that I liked about his set, I might as well start with the shit I didn't, because there really wasn't a lot I disliked. First, for a GLOW IN THE DARK tour, I really wasn't blown away by the stage or lights. His backing band came out clad in dark, black clothing and they seemed to vanish into the backdrop, leaving ol' Yeezy as the prime focus. I'm sure this attention is exactly what Kanye wanted, as we all know that he is an egomaniac. But honestly, I couldn't give less of a shit what type of guy Kanye is, we all know he is a little crazy, but I mean come on, the guy is on mother dying, breakup tilt, if that doesn't give you some license to be nuts, nothing does. There also were no video screens and the light show was not really that impressive, but man, his set was tight. The show really played like a Kanye greatest hits show and it clocked in around 2 hours, which granted I've only been to a few Hip Hop shows, but it was by far the longest performance I've witnessed by a rapper. Kanye came out guns blazing and he never let up from opener 'Good Morning' to the encore of 'Stronger'. There wasn't a song I wanted to hear that he didn't play and the crowd, well not a sellout, was banging along to every beat. He even threw in a few covers and songs that he is featured on, including T.I's 'Swagger Like Us' and some ol' Young Jeezy. The only new joints we heard were 'Love Lockdown' and 'Heartless,' which was not really a surprise to me. They sounded solid live, nothing really too different about them then the latest versions currently available. Overall, Kanye rocked the shit out of Monterrey and it was a great night. Below, you will find the video to 'Can't tell me nothing,' a song that I have to admit I was a fan of before the show, but have even more love for it after he killed it live and direct. Enjoy...

2 comments:

emjay said...

i saw yeezy in the tdot... did he do the whole spaceship thing with the "you are the brightest star in the entire universe only you can power this spaceship" thing?

Black said...

No, it was pretty low key. I do not recall a spaceship segment, he did recite somewhat of a poem for his ol' mom though. So there was cheese on some end of it.