Thursday, October 16, 2008

Guess Who's Back...

Eminem, who's been on the down low for a minute now, has revealed that he has in fact ended his self imposed exile from the rap world, and has a record finished, entitled The Relapse, and it is ready to be released. He didn't give an exact release date, but he hinted that it could be released by the end of this calendar year. It seems like everyone is dropping albums quickly these days with little or no press build up. I don't know if they are doing this in order to stop early leaks, build their own hype, or because the record industry is in such bad shape that they can't afford any promotion, but I like this quick turn around. Waiting months for an album's release date or the eventual week early leak was always a bitch for albums I really wanted to hear.

That wasn't all the news coming from the Eminem camp. He also premiered a track off The Relapse called "I'm Having A Relapse". Not really sure what to think of this track right off the bat. His nhilistic flow sounds tight, and his references, alliteration, and metaphors are on point, but I can't help but notice how juvenile it all sounds. I don't know if that is a reflection of my increasing age, or if it is more a reflection of the times that we are now living in. Since Em left the rap scene the world has transformed greatly. With an increased presence in Iraq and Afghanistan, growing racial and political tensions and now with the world economy tittering on the brink of collapse, I just don't know if now is the right time for an Eminem album. The rap albums that have hit home most with me this year have been from artists dealing with personal struggle during our bleak times so I just don't know how this new Em album will resonate with me. But I digress. The track is quite short at only two minutes, but Eminem packs in a lot by skipping a chorus, and instead just rapping straight through. At the half way point, he switches his flow up, and takes on a sort of Jamaican accent-flow. Sounds strange, but it works quite well. The beat is somewhat of a standard Em beat, with lots of hand claps and drums that seem to build around the rhyme patterns of Em. It's also backed throughout with some sort of "eastern" flute, which sounds pretty cool. Standout line of the track has to be "I get these panic attacks, pop a Xanax relax, trying to stick my fucking dick inside a mannequin's ass". I'm not gonna lie, I am really intrigued to see what this album sounds like and it's critical and popular reception in our current times.

Check the youtube clip below.






In other news, Em's also got a coffee table book out entitled, The Way I Am. Looks kinda shitty.

1 comment:

emjay said...

nobody does it like eminem straight up.