Thursday, October 9, 2008

Film Wisdom: Reality Bites


Long before her days of ripping off clothing stores, little ol' Winona Ryder starred in the Ben Stiller's Reality Bites. Her character Lelaina opens the film by giving her Valedictorian speech to the graduating class. While doing so, shes ushers these words, "And they wonder why those of us in our twenties refuse to work an eighty hour week. Just so we can afford to buy their BMW's. Or why we aren't interested in the counter-culture that they invented, as if we did not see them disembowel their revolution for a pair of running shoes. But the question remains, what are we going to do now? How can we repair all the damage inherited? Fellow graduates, the answer is simple. The answer is...the answer is...I don't know."
Just over fourteen years later, I'm not sure that I could give you a better answer. I'm not sure if this mess that is under discussion has become any better at all. But, I can ask you to take a look around and ask yourself, am I one of them, working eighty hours a week for shit that I don't need? Or am I someone who is 'still trying to figure it all out'? Either way, its good just to think about who they are for awhile.
While I could not find a video with the speech, I did find a clip, to make you think...Enjoy.

No comments: